Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Weekly update


                  A week into the job and I’ve already been faced with a few interesting situations. For starters, unlike the previous classes, some of my new students are consistent troublemakers. Over the past week I have been trying to think of creative ways to punish the students such as making them doing jumping jacks all class period, but nothing will top how ridiculous the Chinese teachers are with their mind games. In one of my classes one of the kids would not shut up and one of the teachers approached him with a roll of duct tape. She gave him a terrifying mean mug and started to rip off some tape. The kid was scared out of his mind and was screaming “Bu Yao”(I Don’t want) repeatedly. In another incident a teacher threatened the kids with a hot glue gun, which shocked me as much as the kids. In times like that I find myself struggling not to smile or laugh because these teachers are so crazy.
                 Like a bad movie, I am a bit scared of the voice that one of my students has. In one of my third grade classes, I have a boy named Mickey who has this screechy voice that creeps me out and sort of sounds like Hannibal Lector when he says “Hello Clarice” In the Silence of the Lambs. Mickey loves to talk and consistently will be calling my name through out class, which I intentionally ignore. The worst part is when I enter the classroom and he repeatedly says “Good morning John”, it is like a voice in bad dream that just wont go away and creeps me out of the whole class period.
                Speaking of bad dreams, on Friday afternoon, I was trying to take a nap during my break in the office when one of the Teachers Assistants named Hannah; Short for Hannah Montana (Yes, Seriously) tried to make a move on me. As I peacefully rested my eyes, I was abruptly woken up to her tongue in my mouth, slithering around like a snake. Half a sleep I yelled and ran out the room. Moments later as I woke myself up; I went back into the room to figure out what just happened. Having spoken minimal words to her over the course of the week it turns out that she likes me and wants to be my girlfriend and that was the way she thought to tell me that. After I kindly denied her request. She started to make outrageous crying/screaming noises like an ape. This was not quite the picture that I had in store for my first encounter with a Chinese girl, but I guess you have to start somewhere.
            With that being said, As Thanksgiving rolls around the corner, I have gotten a bit sad that I wont be able to have it with my family and close friends. To make matters worse, they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here obviously so rather than going into a food coma all day, I have to work. To treat  myself and make it feel somewhat like home, a few of my cohort members will be going to Bubba’s Texas Saloon http://www.bubbasasia.com/ to have a thanksgiving feast after work.
            Although I cant be with any of my close friends from home for thanksgiving, I am very excited for my best friend Scott come to visit me in less than a month for Christmas. He will be here from the 16-29th of December, which is 2 weeks. During that time he will have to explore on his own while I am at work but after work I will  get to meet up with him. I have taken a couple days off to go to Beijing for Christmas and see the Great Wall with him, which should be a fun and memorable trip.
         In more exciting news, my friend Jenny from Iowa, who I worked with in Camp Adventure when I was in Japan, is going to come and visit me at the end of December!  She is visiting her Grandparents but is going to make a pit stop to come see me. With one wild week out of the way, I am ready to see what is store for me this week.

1 comment:

  1. oh john... the craziness never seems to let itself slip away from you! I'm glad to see you're definitely having an experience.

    ReplyDelete