Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Lantern Festival




Lantern Festival -another crazy Chinese Holiday to celebrate the Chinese New years with plethora of Lanterns. This year it is the year of the Rabbit, so you guessed right, there were lots of rabbit memorabilia roaming the streets. It amazes me how much Crap China produces for these holidays and what’s even more amazing is that people actually buy it. In my classes my students brought their Lantern festival toys to class and showed me all their gadgets.




It seems that with any Chinese holiday, it is a necessity to light off fireworks. So once again I entered the battlefield of fireworks. Supposedly the Lantern festival is a big deal and there is even a 3 days festival at the Yuyuan Gardens in which there are lanterns everywhere and thousands of people make their way to come visit. Similar to the Christmas lights at Christmas time, there were a many different exhibits of lanterns displayed all over. I went with some my friends Rob, Kirsti and Sherry  and for 50RMB, we were given the opportunity to be smushed in to a confined space with a bunch of Asians and of course see lots of lanterns. Since I was unable to bring my new camera to South Korea, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity to test it out and try to figure out how to use it with all the various colors displayed in the lanterns. So with that I present you with my initial pictures from the Lantern Festival.
                                             























No comments:

Post a Comment